Get Published - California Optometry Magazine is Looking for Authors!
Do you have a story you’d like to share, have a hot topic you’re passionate about, or think you’d like to write a CE article? COA is looking for you! We are always looking for authors for our e-magazine that goes out to nearly 3,000 COA members! If you’d like some exposure in your field, this is a great way to do it!
Here are some topics we are looking for authors for this year:
Continuing Education Topics:
· Dry Eye, Explain Dews 2
· Glaucoma (author’s pick of specific topic)
· Amniotic Membranes – for treatment of corneal surface diseases
· Pediatric Eye Care – Myopia Progression – Digital devices in kids
· You pick! We’re open to varying topics. Let us know if there is something you’d like to write about!
May/June Edition Topics: Extended Deadline 4/28/17
· How increase the capture rate of Optovue, Opti-Map etc.
July/August Edition Topics: Deadline 6/5/17
· Where will we be in five years? (Two authors needed - new and established ODs)
· New Grads - How to Negotiate a Contract - pay for CE, time-off to go take CE, benefits retirement.
· Featuring contrasting modes of practice (hospital based, commercial, Kaiser, private practice)
September/October Edition Topics: Deadline 8/7/17
· How to inform the public about children's eye exams (Need Author)
· Children and Digital Device Use (Need Author)
· How to make school presentations (doing eye exams at schools)
· Topical Article - What often gets missed in a pediatric vision screening
November/December Edition Topics: Deadline 10/9/17
· Highlighting collaborative practice models beyond diabetes (post stroke/TBI, alzheimers, autism)
· Marketing ideas to increase patient base
· Discussing Optometry's Role in End of Life Care
· Tips for Greeting Patients - (Need Author)
If you are interested in any of these topics or have questions, please contact Rachael Van Cleave at COA at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unable to attend past COA Legislative Days? This year, COA brings the event directly to you! Take advantage of attending COA's Bay Area Optometric Societies and UC Berkeley Students (BAOC) Advocacy Day right in your own backyard! ACCCOS, SCCOS, SFOS, SMCOS, & REOS societies are all invited. Cocktails are 6-7pm, Advocacy program is 7-9pm with speaker Assembly Member Kevin Mullin.
When: Friday, May 5, 2017
6:00 pm - 7:00 pm: Cocktail Hour
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm: Advocacy Program
SPUR Urban Center
654 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
For more information, go to coavision.org and click here
2017 ACCCOS Installation
Sunday, April 9th, 2017
9:00 am - 2:00 pm
Castlewood Country Club, Grand Ballroom
707 Country Club Circle
Pleasanton, CA 94566
Please note country club dress code: men wear collared shirts (tucked in), no denim or cargo shorts/pants.
ur annual installation meeting is a special event for ACCCOS. Please come and see our 2017 ACCCOS board members assume their new roles of leadership for our society.
Special Guest Lecturer:
Dr. Andrew S. Morgenstern, OD, FAAO Dipl, ABO:
"The Battle of the Bulge..Its all About the Backside" (2 hrs)
"More than Meets the TB Eye" (1 hr)
RSVP with choice of meal:
- Mesquite Grilled Mahi Mahi, Charred Thai Pineapple Salsa with Roasted Yukon Potatoes & Seasonal Vegetables
- New York Strip Steak with Merlot Reduction & Garlic Mashed Potato
- Vegetarian - Chef's choice
Free for ACCCOS members who sign up on or before Sunday March 26th. $50 Non-ACCCOS COA members, $80 Non-COA members, $25 for ACCCOS Members who sign up after March 26th. $45 Late sign up fee (Thursday-Friday prior to event), $50 Sign up fee day of event/at door.
RSVP via PayPal at ACCCOS.ORG, and for the early bird option, send an email with your name, lic number and meal choice to email@example.com.
Should you need to cancel, please do so 48 hours in advance of the meeting. A $45.00 penalty fee is incurred for a no-show with an RSVP.
Please note that to receive continuing education credit, you must arrive no later than ten minutes after the lecture has started. Only full 3-hour credit will be granted, no partial credit for only attending a portion of the lecture.
We still accept checks payable to "ACCCOS" sent to:
Val Esway, 3024 Hyde St, Oakland, CA 94601
Dr. Andrew S. Morgenstern, OD, FAAO Dipl, ABO
Healthcare Consultant and Subject Matter Expert
Dr. Morgenstern is a healthcare consultant and subject matter expert. He received is bachelors degree at Boston, and his Doctor of Optometry at Nova Southeastern University College of Optometry. Thereafter receiving his residency at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute at the University of Miami School of Medicine Department of Ophthalmology.
Dr. Morgenstern is the founder of OcuSolve, the healthcare and management consultant firm, assistant principal investigator for TLC Laser Centers, and assistant principal investigator for the CXL-USA Corneal Cross Linking Study Group. He is also involved with the AOA, Evidence Based Optometry (EBO) consultant for the United States Health and Human Services (HHS) Institute of Medicine (IOM) Systematic Reviews and Clinical Practice Guidelines Development Process. He continues his work as the Optometric Subject Matter Expert, US Department of Defense Vision Center of Excellence, and the organizer and moderator of AOA United States/China FDA Myopia and Myopia Control joint symposium.
In his spare time he has volunteered as the President of the Optometric Cornea, Cataract and Refractive Society (OCCRS), Maryland Optometric Association, American Optometric Association New Technology Committee (AOA-NTC), Red Cross Volunteer Optometrist, Co-Chief Medical Editor of Advanced Ocular Care and EyetubeOD.com. He is also a founding member of the International Keratoconus Academy of Eye Care Professionals, and Optometric Cross Linking Society, and the executive board member or the International Keratoconus Academy of Eye Care Professionals (IKA)